Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Carbon Gases


Gases that trap heat in our atmosphere, have the name of greenhouse gases. 

The main gases in our atmosphere:

-Carbon Dioxide (CO2)
-Methane (CH4)
-Nitrous Oxide (N2O)
-Flourinated Gases 
-Ozone- Depleting Substances

The sources of these gases:

-Electricity production - 34 % of 2010 greenhouse gases
-Transportation - 27% of 2010 greenhouse gases
-Industry - 21% of 2010 greenhouse gases
-Commercial and Residential - 11% of 2010 greenhouse gases
-Agriculture - 7% of 2010 greenhouse gases

The EPA website has a Greenhouse Gas Emissions Calculator, that takes in to account the daily activities we do and how it is affecting our environment. Emissions can come from the gasoline we burn in our cars, the gas we use to heat our homes, and how much we recycle. 

I compared two households

  • House of four college girls: we calculated out at 26,589 pounds of CO2 per year

  • Parents house (2 people + dog): 31,783 pounds of CO2 per year

I wasn’t very surprised my the results, my parents do a lot of driving and live a more luxurious lifestyle than my friends and me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment