Thursday, December 6, 2012

Spirals for days

I started hooping the beginning of this past summer, and it has been one of the best decisions of my life. I was blessed enough to live on a lake this summer, in a water front cottage. What I loved the most, was the beautiful sunset view I got to see every evening. Normally with a cup of coffee in hand, I would watch, and photograph the scenery. You would think that seeing the same view would get boring, but each night was stunningly more different than the last. Not once did I have a dull moment. Even when it rained, I would be out splashing in the puddles. I took advantage of every second I got to spend at the cottage. Sadly I will never go back, because our cottage was sold. However, the memories are the more valuable than the property itself.
Before picking up a hula hoop, I found it hard to express myself, which made be depressed and frustrated. Hooping has brought me out of my shell, and made me feel comfortable moving my body. I now feel connected with music, myself, and nature. My favorite place to hoop was by the seawall, looking out towards the lake. An inspiring sight, paired with some great music and we have a hoop session! Normally it takes about 10 to 15 minutes to warm up and find my “flow”, or to get in my “zone”. This is when everything is working as one, and I don’t think about what move I will do next, I just do. I lose myself in the music, transitioning between different moves and tricks. It’s like a natural high; constantly spinning and weaving my body through my circle of love. Practice is huge. I’ve learned that nothing amazing happens over night. It’s all about progress, getting a little better every day. Then setting realistic goals, and reaching them.
Recently I found an article about hooping and nature. Lara Eastburn is the author, and she talks about how circles are everywhere! From our finger prints to outer space galaxy’s, a never ending spiral is there. She has put up some great pictures of circles represented through nature, this is the link to her article.

http://www.hooping.org/2011/10/spiraling-out-of-nature-a-visual-essay-2/#more-15774

No comments:

Post a Comment